What are the causes of bad breath?
Sometimes bad breath is easy to cure through diet or lifestyle changes – it could be down to something as simple as consuming the wrong foods. However, on some occasions bad breath is as a result of a medical problem which can be a little more complex to tackle. Here at Fresh, we can help identify the cause of your bad breath so that you can lead a healthy and confident life.
Dry mouth can be a medical condition otherwise known (xerostomia). It means that your mouth produces less saliva which then causes bacteria to build up in your mouth, leading to bad breath. There are several changes you can make to your lifestyle that will help your mouth produce more saliva.
- Bad breath can be caused by certain medicines, which also stop the production of saliva and therefore food particles cannot be washed away.
- Medical conditions can cause bad breath – liver and kidney problems. If you have a healthy mouth but are suffering from bad breath, you may be referred to a specialist or your GP so that the cause can be detected.
- Smoking causes its own type of bad breath – stopping smoking will help to prevent bad breath as well as keep your gums health, as tobacco irritates the gums and also stains your teeth. You are more likely to suffer from gum disease and periodontitis if you are a smoker.
- Throat infections can cause bad breath.
- Build- up of bacteria on your tongue.
- Poorly fitted crowns, bridges and dentures.
How can Fresh Dental help?
We can arrange a consultation for you here at Fresh Dental so that we can diagnose the cause of your bad breath. It may just be a question of cutting out certain foods or changing certain habits. If you have a poor oral hygiene routine or dental routine, you may need to make certain changes here, as failing to brush your teeth for 2 minutes twice a day will cause a build up of bacteria in the form of plaque and tartar.
We can treat gum disease by cleaning and root debriding – a non-surgical procedure where we clean the root surfaces of your teeth. We will also offer advice on general oral hygiene practice and create a specific tailored treatment plan for each patient. Regular visits to the dental hygienist will help you to avoid bad breath and unhealthy teeth.
If you would like to know about fresh breath treatments at Fresh Dental, please do not hesitate to contact us and we can arrange a consultation for you.