Over-the-counter teeth whitening products and teeth whitening treatments performed by beauty therapists may seem like an attractive and cheaper path to new shiny white teeth. However, many people are not aware of the risks that these methods encompass. Teeth whitening should only ever be carried out by a professional, this means a specialist in a dental practice. Here are a few reasons why…
- Beauty therapists do not have the proper qualifications or training to carry out this procedure safely.
- Hydrogen peroxide is dangerous. Teeth whitening is only safe when the whitening trays are custom made for your teeth. As this is not the case with the DIY kits or when carried out by a beauty therapist, you cannot be 100% safe from the risk of the hydrogen peroxide gel leaking over onto your gums. Wrong-sized trays also present the risk of swallowing the hydrogen peroxide which
- DIY kits do not last as long as teeth whitening performed by a specialist.
Professional tooth whitening offers long-lasting results and is custom down to the last detail. The whitening agents can be customised so that you can choose your desired shade of white and you’ll have full cosmetic dentist supervision every step of the way.
So how does the process work?
Our specialist will take impressions of your teeth so that your whitening trays can be made up by our dental technician in the lab. Following this, the peroxide gel is placed into the whitening trays and this is what causes your teeth to whiten. As the trays are perfectly cut to your teeth, the whitening process is effective, safe and of a high quality. Following your in-practice treatment, your dentist will give you the remainder of the custom-made trays to take home and wear at home.
Ultimately, this procedure should not be performed without full supervision from a trained professional
What are the benefits of teeth whitening?
- Restored, stain-free white teeth for a prolonged period of time.
- It is possible to have your teeth whitened even if you have gum disease or cavities.
- Restore your confidence and your desire to smile.
- Give your teeth a reset – teeth whitening is a great opportunity to start-a-fresh. Before whitening your teeth, your dentist will deep clean your teeth, removing any plaque and tartar staining your teeth, so your oral hygiene will be resotred as well as the colour of your teeth.
To get the best out of your treatment, you must make sure you look after your teeth by brushing twice a day for 2 minutes, as well as floss regularly.