What Are Overdentures?
This week we’re covering another topic to help you understand orthodontic services a little better!
This week it’s overdentures.
What are overdentures?
Overdentures are removable dentures for people with a few or no remaining teeth. They’re designed to fit over the top of a person’s tooth roots – they use roots as support anchors in order for the dentures to fit.
What are the benefits of overdentures?
– They’re an affordable solution.
– Overdentures will make you want to smile again, rendering you less self-conscious about the appearance of your teeth.
– You’ll still be able to enjoy your favourite foods. Overdentures are strong and sturdy, so once fitted you’ll be able to chew as normal.
– If you’ve been struggling with a speech impediment as a result of your oral health, overdentures will improve this greatly and possibly even eliminate it entirely.
– You won’t need a bone graft (as with implants) but you’ll have all the benefits of implants.
– Overdentures are actually said to promote better digestion. The improved stability in your mouth enables you to chew food more effectively so that your body can break food down more easily, thus, taking in more nutrients from your food.
– More than just about your smile – overdentures contribute to retaining your facial structure and your features. Replacing missing teeth in this way can totally change the way your face sits – those with teeth missing often have drooping features – overdentures contribute to gaining this back.
What steps does the process involve?
– Firstly, you’ll have a consultation with one of our specialists. This will be the chance to discuss the whole procedure and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have or address any anxieties you might have.
– Following this, your dentist will need to examine whether you have enough bone for the implants to sync with. We will do this by carrying out x-rays and an impression of your jaw, allowing us to access a tailor-made ‘cut-out’ of your teeth.
– We’ll then identify whether you need any other treatment before we fit you with overdentures. This is because it’s really important that your mouth is in the best possible health before treatment so that the procedure can be straightforward and unaffected by other factors.
– The first part of surgery wil involved your orthodontist placing the implants into your jawbone.
– Once you have healed from this (your jawbone has fused with the implants), teeth are placed, creating a brand new smile for the patients.